information about ri It's how you find Rhode Island on the Internet  
Rhode Island's Online Magazine Arts & EntertainmentFood For ThoughtHomeward BoundJust BusinessRoad TripThis & That

Change in International Travel Requirments
By The Travel Connection, Cranston, RI

We're Streaming Now!
Provided by

2006 Acura MDX
Information provided by

Savvy Traveler
Change in International Travel Requirments

Important Travel Notice:
All travelers, including U.S. citizens, to and from the Americas, the Caribbean and Bermuda will soon be required to have a passport or other accepted document that establishes the bearerís identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States.

December 31, 2006:
Requirement applied to air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda.

December 31, 2007:
Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

For more information and how it may affect you, please visit the State Departmentís consular website or the U.S. Department of Homeland Securityís website.

Passport forms and fees:
DS-11 (age 16 and over) ..............$97
DS-11 (under age 16)...................$82*
DS-82 (renewal by mail)...............$67
Expedited service - additional.......$60**

IMPORTANT *Parental relationship documentation and permission of both parents/guardians are required for children under age 14.

**Expedite fee does NOT include two-way overnight delivery/return service.

Reporting a Lost or Stolen Passport - Call 1-202-955-0430

For still-valid lost or stolen passports, you should call 202-955-0430 to report the loss/theft, even when you do not wish to replace the passport. If you do want to replace the passport, you must reapply in person and complete a form DS-64, Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport, and a new DS-11, Application for a U.S. Passport. Note: Because you do not have your most recent passport available, a DS-82 cannot be used for renewal by mail.

Helpful Hints
Visit for: application requirements, how/where to apply; application forms; and much more. Want to know where to apply? Just type in your home or work zip code to get a list of the nearest designated Acceptance Facilities among the 7,000+ across the U.S.

Call the National Passport Information Center toll free at 1-877-487-2778 (NPIC) for 24-hour recorded information; 24-hour access to the automated appointment system for customers who are leaving internationally within 14 days or needing their passports for foreign visas within 4 weeks; and to make appointments at Passport Agencies during business hours. (Appointments, proof of departure, and the $60 Expedite Fee is required for all persons applying at Passport Agencies).

Call toll free 1-877-478-2778 to speak with a Customer Service Representative, Monday thru Friday, 8:00am to 8:00pm ET, excluding Federal holidays. (Hours may be expanded during busy travel periods).

Important Phone Numbers
National Passport Information Center (toll free)
(Automated information, Agency Appointments, Questions, Status Checks 1-877-478-2778

Duty Officer Program (Life/Death Emergencies during non-business hours) 1-202-647-4000

Overseas Citizen Services (Help for U.S. citizens abroad) 1-888-407-4747

Office of Childrenís Issues (inquiries about childrenís issues, abductions) 1-202-736-7000

 The Travel Connection is here to assist you with your travel interests in Canada and any other destination you desire. Contact one of our travel professionals at 401-946-6010 or via email at For more information please visit our web site for other travel choices and destination information.


Send a comment

rhode island"